DSL Trouble Shooting Guide
If you are experiencing slow, intermitted or no internet connection you can do the following steps to possibly reinstate your service:
- DO NOT reset the modem using the reset button on the back of the modem. This will reset your modem to the factory default, and all setting will be lost.
- Verify that the ADSL telephone line has dial-tone.
- Make sure all the required Micro filters are in place and correctly connected.
- Ensure the modem is powered on, by checking the power LED.
- Verify the connection between the computer / server and the modem. At least one of the green LED, marked 1, 2, 3 or 4, on the modem, should be burning. (If a USB modem is used or connected to a USB interface, the USB / Power LED will be flashing.)
- Verify if the ADSL or DSL LNK LED is burning. If the LED is flashing the ADSL line may be faulty. If the LED is off, the modem may be faulty.
- Verify if the PPP / DSL ACT LED are burning. If the LED is NOT burning, it may be the configuration which is incorrect. Check the configuration with your ISP.
- Resynchronize the connection by turning the modem power off for at least 30 seconds, before turning the modem on.
- Ensure the Firewall settings are correct, since it may prevent or block connections to the Internet or other applications e.g. FTP.
- Ensure no viruses are present on the computer / server. Viruses can exhaust memory and resources, thus causing slow or deny access to the Internet (applications).
- Reboot the computer / server if possible.
If the steps above, does not work to reinstate your ADSL connection, please contact Telkom ADSL Helpline on 0800 375 375 or 0800 DSL.
Read more about: